Monday, September 8, 2014

My Recent Hurrah

Ever since I began selling my clothes on-line, I have rethought my decision making when shopping. I used to be very impulsive when shopping and just bought things at first glance, and never took a trip to a fitting room! And sadly, I would hang it up on my closet and more than likely never wear it again since it would be buried in the 500 dresses I had. So now I have compiled a list of what to look for and what to do when shopping. 
I have not yet established my sense of style yet; I am constantly changing between quirky, boho, and preppy. So I look more at what the item offers like:
+Pretty Patterns
I am a sucker for patterns, especially multiple patterns. About 95% of my wardrobe has patterns ranging from stripes, polkadots, floral, checkers, paisley, and even cute animals. 
+Color Scheme
I am not a harsh critic on the coloring on patterned items, I love a variety of colors on a dress, shirt, or romper. However, on plain solid items, the first thing I look at  is it's color. I like wearing pastels and light soft hues, my current favorite is the off white. Since I hardly do not own any plain tops (or tops for that matter) I purchased the blush pink top on the far right simply based on it's pretty hue. 
+Texture/Add On's
Have you ever seen a shirt that is simply adorable but it has some ruffles where it shouldn't and you have to put it back on the shelf? That's me most of the time. I have fallen in love with so many items but they always have studs or patches on them and I immediately hang it back up. Also, sometimes things fit wrong because they are itchy and utterly uncomfortable. The fleck sweatshirt in the middle surprised me at the fitting rooms.

When shopping I first look at the patterns, color, and then the texture. If this passes the visual test, it then moves on to the second round...fitting rooms!

In the fitting rooms, I look at the length, fit, and of course if it also looks nice on me. 
+Length
Dresses especially have to fit at a certain length on leg. I am not quite sure where it is, but if its below or above this point, I really have to think about purchasing the item. 
+Fit
Most of my clothes are well fitted, but sometimes I go in to try on how loose an item it. I like wearing dainty loose dresses/shirts for my lazy days. Sometimes dresses are the perfect loose, where you can easily slip in with out struggling through zippers or buttons and its. Other times, they are so loose you can fit another person inside that same dress...not cute. 

So after all this, my sister and I like to do something called Process of Elimination. This is where we plant ourselves on a chair, add up the subtotal of everything, and ask ourselves questions:
+Is ________ worth this amount of money?
+What else can I wear with this?
My best friend Lucia, taught me how to utilize this question when making purchases. Pretty much if you can make three different outfits, including shoes, with this particular item, then your good to go. If you have to purchase something else then it has to stay. 
+When will I wear this?
My sister and I will do this a lot. Usually we will attend the same party and event, so if we can easily name an occasion where we will wear it then it's good to go. 
So after all these questions, we usually end up leaving 5 items, sometimes even half. But I leave happy at what I purchased and happier at the money I saved :)

2 comments :

  1. I have recently changed my shopping habits too, it's really rewarding to have a closet you're proud of and clothes that get worn frequently! Thanks for the tips <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I featured this post in my Friday Faves <3

    ReplyDelete