Monday, September 15, 2014

My Part Time Lover and Full Time Friend


Today is our four year and three monthiversay of being together that I thought it would be fun to share our small little love story and how we came to be.

I had seen him Allen during my freshman year and was completely smitten, but I never got his name or saw him again after that, until the summer of 2010. The first time I was introduced, and sat down in the same room as him was on May 7, 2010, I was invited by one of our mutual friends to go watch Iron Man 2 with all friends. We then, as a group, went bowling, swimming, and went to the movies again.
On June 11, we all went to the movies again to watch The A-Team, drink Starbucks, and check out a blade less fan at Best Buy. My sister was on her way to pick me up at the theater, but we were on the other side of the streets, so I remember Allen holding my hand and running through the lighted trees to make it there before my sister. Well that night I got home, and called my friend Carol telling her all about it, and how I want to make a bold move and tell him how much I like him...and I did.
I remember everything about June 15. I ditched summer school and went over to his house and took my friend Kathy along so I wouldn't stay too long. When I got to his house we were just sitting on his couch, eating strawberries, and talking. After a while I told him I had to go back to school. As I am hugging him bye he says, "Before you go, will you be my girlfriend?" When I say yes, he gives me a kiss on my forehead. I have never had an actual boyfriend, so this whole thing was new and perfect in every way.

We have gone to every concert together, held each others hand through events, seen every movie, listened to every song, gone through many different haircuts, been on every ride at Disneyland, and received a kiss on my forehead every night. A successful relationship requires falling in love many times, always with the same person. Of this I am certain, I constantly fall in love with Allen just by the way he talks, smiles, walks, laughs, and even just seeing him fall asleep next to me is the greatest privilege.
When I think back to the many times we could've met, had I found him freshman year, I'm glad that this is the story we got.

This day is also very important to me because my youngest nephew turns one! Happy Birthday Alexander. I love you very much and cannot wait to watch you grow!

2 comments :