Monday, September 22, 2014

Advice from a college student

School is this week, and I am equally excited and nervous for this quarter. I have prepared myself for this upcoming school year with giving myself a pep talk with what's going to work for me and whats going to weigh me down. I wanted to share some of these things with those who are struggling and stressing out or even for those who are new to college.
As I have mentioned before, I'm a Liberal Studies student in the hopes of becoming a kindergarten teacher. But I have not always been interested in this field; it was last year that I changed majors. I actually started off as an English major. And although so many people tried to change my mind about rethinking this decision, but I went on with it for two reasons: I fell in love with the subject during my entire high school years (thanks to my super rad teachers) and I had my future based around it.
So here are my first two sets of advice:
1. High school is nothing like college.
I know I know, how can someone think they are the same? But little freshman me thought of them to be similar and transitioning was a very difficult thing for me. Professors, students, scheduling, books/supplies, and even parking are different. Be prepared. Honestly, everything I learned in high school did not come to use in college. I had to figure everything all out on my own. So learn about your major, talk to advisors and professors like they are your best friends.... Believe me it will help you!
2. Things change... Have a fall back plan.
So I went into college wanting to become an English major based on the lifestyle I created for myself in the future. I wanted to become a magazine writer/editor and move to New York as soon as I got out of college. I had it all figured out, and I had mentioned that my precious teachers inspired me to pursue something in the English writing field. But the more classes I took, I just fell out of love with the subject entirely. I dreaded reading, writing, learning the history, and I began to feel that I was no longer doing it because I wanted to but because I had to. Also, the more life went on I realized how closely knit of a family I have and how hard it would be for me without them in my life. All of my immediate family live in the same city and I live two streets away from my mom and even then I get anxious when I do not see them. As Allen and I plan for the future, we agreed that we didn't want to raise a family in such a busy city away from who we love most. Of course we would still take vacations over there, but I also can't live somewhere that isn't 45 minutes away from Disneyland, haha, and we already have the perfect city in mind.
3. Ask yourself: Do you want your hobby to become your job?
This question may be a simple yes, but for me it didn't work that way. I went into college loving literature and English and then two years later, I made a complete 180. You would think that choosing your career should be based on something you love, but for me, I was no longer doing it for myself or for the love itself. Instead I chose my career based on my strengths and things I am good at. I love helping kids, teaching, talking, and just being around them watching them grow. I am creative, passionate, and patient; what better area than teaching right? Also, I get to still do what I love by blogging. I may have not been the writer in a column of your favorite magazine, but I still get to enjoy what it is and how I like it.

With that being said, I spent almost three years taking pure English/upper division courses....and when this happened I didn't know what to do.

4. It's perfectly normal and okay to have a mental breakdown.
I actually think that if you don't then there's a problem. After I decided that it was time to choose something else, I was completely lost. I didn't know what to do, where to begin, or how to find help. I even wanted to change schools and do something completely different like culinary arts; but that didn't fall through. So then I figured that I should go into teaching; I love kids, creativity, and I can utilize majority of the courses I have taken towards it. But I think I figured all of this out as soon as I broke down and let myself express all the stress, anxiety, and difficulty I have been going through. Whether its your midterm/final, overbearing homework, or just the thought of college, know that if you have ever been put through this that it's okay and it just means your doing something right :)

5. Lastly, as long as you know where you are going, it doesn't matter how long it takes.
Sure it will be lovely to finish in four years, and not that it's not possible, but that's not always the case. Everyone is going through different circumstances in their personal life that can interfere with school. Ever since I graduated from high school, I had a job...for the most part two, and one time even three! It's my fourth year of college, and I am not as close to finishing as I would like. I am constantly asked about when I will be done, how much more I have left, and why is it taking so long. It's really difficult to explain to people who do not know exactly what I have experienced but the best reply I can give is that I'm not sure when I am going to finish, but I am. And I think that's good enough; as long as you know you will finish, then that's what matters. Slow and steady wins the race.
Flash cards and Post-its are a must! 
These are my major words of advice. This does not apply to everyone and I may be in the completely opposite of the spectrum but I just wanted to share what my experience at college has taught me.
Now here are some tips that I wish I had known, or at least done out of habit.
+Socialize and make at least three friends in each class.
Talk to people around you and exchange phone numbers or emails. This will save you a ton of time when you get sick and need someone to send you the notes, homework, or discussions. A good ice breaker is asking them what their major is and why they chose it.
+Utilize everything your school has to offer.
The end of my second year I found out we had a health center opened to students for free and therapists on campus! Also the library, computer labs, gym, tutors, office hours, and study groups can be found easily and are extremely helpful!
+Follow up with your advisors
My advisors answer all of my questions and even help me stay on track so I do not fall behind. I try to visit every other month, but as long as you go once a quarter you will be fine.
+Give yourself incentives
They could either be small or big. For me, it was if I passes an exam or a project I could buy tickets to a concert or if I devote five hours to non stop studying with no interferences whatsoever, I can buy a dress.
+Learn to balance and prioritize
I was talking to one of my lovely friends at work, and discussing how we still have a long way to go and how it's difficult to worry about school when you are worrying about financial issues and how you are going to pay for that without working. Sometimes, it feels better to put your job as a priority because that's helping you pay for your bills, food, gas, etc. But when you think about the overall picture, the degree you earned will help you pay for you, your family, and anything else you need. So look into scholarships, grants, and I don't want to say it but loans. And if you can't take a shift or have to change your availability to suit your time in and out of school, then by all means do so. If they cannot work with your schedule, then find another job because you will need to have a strong support system when your in college.

I hope I shined some light on anyone going to school. It's really difficult and I do not think anyone understands unless they go through the experience themselves. If you are going to college, what works for you?

No comments :

Post a Comment